POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Jan 2005 21:43:42
Message: <41ddf75e$1@news.povray.org>
GrimDude wrote:
> I'm lost, don't know what SSS is, but I do know these images are very good.
>
> - Grim

Sub-surface Scattering.  The idea is that for many materials ( well all
materials really ) light penetrates the surface somewhat before being
refracted back.  With some materials, like marble or human skin this
produces noticable effects. There are renderman shaders for instance
that attempt to reproduce these effects. Some time ago Mael and others
began experimenting with using dense media within objects, and leaving
the surface transparent, as a POV-Ray solution to this issue.  The
results are a dramatic success when simulating homogenous materials such
as jade or wax.  But as a way of treating skin, good results remain
elusive.  This seems to be mostly because of the need for a
semitransparent rather than totally transparent surface plane to achieve
much of the information that skin offers the eye.  Hence the subtle
milky effect of the dense media is lost.  That's my take on it anyway.