POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Jan 2005 19:34:17
Message: <41ddd909@news.povray.org>
Rene Bui wrote:
>>I thought the translucency you got there
>>was pretty amazing and beyond anything I was ever able to achieve.
>
> Thank you so much
>

>>Where do these test fit in with the results you got in your post of 9/19
>>titled Always my Wings model?
>
> Oh Jim.. you talk to me as if I just live in Canal street, but I'm not.
> Remember, my english is preteen level.

I apolgize.

> Do you mean these images are worse than my post of 9/19 ?

I think the translucent look of the flesh was lost in the later images.
  I value that translucent look more than some of the effects you
achieved in the later images.
I think that it is this translucent look of the flesh, the effect of the
light showing through from behind, that is what people are trying to get
with SSS.  But maybe you achieved it another way?  I was never able to
accomplish that and would love to know how you did it.  Forgive me, I
cannot think of simpler words to use.  Sure wish I knew French :(