POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray wiki again - alternative URL www.wikipov.org : Re: povray wiki again - alternative URL www.wikipov.org Server Time
17 Jun 2024 02:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray wiki again - alternative URL www.wikipov.org
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 6 Jan 2005 15:11:08
Message: <41dd9b5c$1@news.povray.org>
"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> wrote in message
> Jeremy,
> By adding/improving ... I assume you mean the objects and not the page?

Correct

> My suggestion would be to have the new objects added separately from those
> that were originally posted.  For POV objects, those came from the mind of
> the creator.  Improvements are subjective.  Ideally, the original creator
> could look and see if new objects have been posted and then elect to
> replace
> the originals with the new and remove the originals.  Additions are good,
> replacements that are subjective and are not factual additions,
> clarifications or well believed changes in fact/situation should, in my
> opinion, not be arbitrarily changed unless by the original author.

That makes sense.  I took a few more minutes to look things over, as well as
try to figure out how these things work in general (I don't have a lot of
experience with wiki's).

Mostly, what I was thinking (and to use a good example) was Gena's
modifications to TomTree.  The original TomTree was quite slow (to parse and
render), then (I believe) Christoph Hormann suggested some improvements
which Gena implemented, resulting in a much faster TomTree.  Since then,
Gena (and others?) has made it more and more robust.  It's a tricky
situation, really.  You don't want to trample on the rights/desires of the
original author, but at the same time, you'd like to "add to" their work,
rather than re-invent the wheel.  I kind of worry about something like 43
grass macros ending up on the site, and the best one(s) are difficult to
distinguish.  Conversely, I don't think we want 43 minnor modifications of
Gilles MakeGrass ("creates yellow grass", "creates lavender grass", etc.) or
do we?

I think I'm largely thinking aloud.  I'm just curious how this will evolve,
and I'm hoping that the good/best things don't get lost by the sheer volume
of sub-par things.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com