POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spooky Letters - 1 attachment : Re: Spooky Letters - 1 attachment - 1 attachment Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spooky Letters - 1 attachment - 1 attachment
From: Lance Birch
Date: 3 Jan 2005 08:43:36
Message: <41d94c08$1@news.povray.org>
"Hershel Robinson" <her### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > What makes you unhappy about the image?
>
> Good question, even if you sound like my shrink. ;)
>
> The problem is that it looks a bit cheesy I think. The water is not
> terribly realistic, the sky is not so dark and is sort of empty and
boring,
> the letters look a bit plastic whereas I suppose they would look better
> with more of a rock finish.
>
> Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that before. OK, here it is with a marbled
> finish. Still looks a bit plastic.
>
> The problem with the sky is that if I make it darker than the water
becomes
> flat-looking.
>
> Oh, the woes of a newbie. :(
>
> Anyone think this is any better?

I think it looks better than the last version.

It might be worth making the sky a gradient, dark at the bottom and lighter
at the top.  This will give the water something to reflect, and will reduce
the "flat" appearance of the water.

Adding focal blur may also help make the text stand out slightly more and
increase the interest of the image, though I'd only recommend slight focal
blur.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com