POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wings question : Re: Wings question Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wings question
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 1 Jan 2005 12:03:46
Message: <41d6d7f2$1@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia wrote:
> Crap.  I don't have an older version.

   I think I found it on one of the mirrors, as I managed to reinstall it
again after the failed upgrade.

> This tool is falling into the "Phenomenally Powerful Yet Poorly Documented
> and Buggy" category for me.

   I must confess that I only followed half of the manual and two or
three tutorials... the rest was discovered by use, with the help of
the messages at the window bottom.

> 1. Drag-plus-type.  I can 'scale' something either the way I like by hitting
> tab and typing the exact scale I want or I can eyeball it and use the mouse.

   Yes, that is very useful. I even use Wings3D for measuring, to help
placing things on the object, so I can avoid some trial&error.

> Now.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach bitmaps to the
> surfaces, or even paint them with flat color.  But I'm sure it's powerful
> and simple, if I can only find the magic keystrokes.

   You just select faces and assign the material on the context menu. If
the material is new, just use right click on the "material..." option.
Then, once exported to POV-Ray, you can replace the texture definitions
by your own textures.

> BUT: If they don't fix the exporter to POV, I can't use it.

   From my little research, I think this is not going to happen... at
least soon. Better find version 0.98.22c or use an intermediate converter.

--
Jaime