POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Miss you - WIP (Last update) : Re: Miss you - WIP (Last update) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miss you - WIP (Last update)
From: Slime
Date: 28 Dec 2004 23:48:40
Message: <41d23728$1@news.povray.org>
> This render took 1h20m for 768x1280, an increase of 1h on my 2.6GHz, 768
MB
> RAM, Win2000 System, all due to the media used for the sky-sphere with
> clouds. They're subtle and not too volumetric, just another touch to add
> some more life and color to the image.

I notice that your primary light source(s) are behind the camera. If the
render time increase from the clouds bothers you, try cutting a hole in the
media container using a difference with a huge cone, whose point is at the
light source position and whose base is large and below the interesting part
of the image. I tried this in an image I've been working on, and since it
prevents unnoticable cloud shadows from falling on the majority of the
image, it speeds up the render time (the clouds are only sampled in the
sky). Of course, if your light source is below the clouds in the first
place, this won't make any difference.

Anyway, if you liked the blue-white contrast that someone mentioned the
image had last time, then I'd encourage you to make the clouds even more
subtle (less dense).

> If POV-Ray were a polygon-based renderer, I'd say the barn in the
background
> is low-poly, but the way it is, its just very simple CSG with only a dozen
> or so objects, built in roughly half an hour. Suffices for the background.

I agree that you should add a window or something onto the big empty wall
facing us; it seems strangely blank.

By the way, I see now that the fence is zig-zagging; I didn't notice this
before because I didn't look at its shadow. That's why I mentioned it
looking strange: it looks like every pair of horizontal poles starts below
the previous pair, slants up, and ends above the next pair, because you
can't see every other pair from our camera position. Maybe you should reduce
the zig-zaggyness so that we can see those sections of the fence which are
hiding behind the poles.

Is there snow on the nearby part of the fence?

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]