POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Miss you - WIP #3 : Re: Miss you - WIP #3 Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miss you - WIP #3
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 24 Dec 2004 09:42:09
Message: <41cc2ac1$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> The latest version of the image. I'm unsure if I really want to go ahead and
> add some clouds, mainly because the landscape already has much white and
> extra clouds would subtract the nice blue-white-contrast.
>
> I'm thinking about pulling the distant lone tree with the fence a little
> closer, there's still quite a gap between the forest and the fence. I'll
> also need to add some more fine-detail to the main heightfield to avoid the
> plain white areas, that just look's awful.
>
> Tried putting some mountains at the horizon, but that just looked
> ridiculously overloaded.
>
> Suggestions and comments welcome, as always! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Superb algorithmic work...really looks like a "real" forest and bushes. :)

But the image is starting to feel a little busy. The focus of the cat &
tree has been lost a bit, I think. The fence & lone tree is a great
touch, but if it was me I'd leave out the bushes altogether and spread
the forest trees out more or thin them a little (only in areas where the
trees have been hand-planted do they grow that thick!). The vehicle
tracks in the snow is a pretty good idea...that would add a civilized
feel to the scene, instead of the cat sitting out in the boonies
somewhere. :)

I think I would also lighten up the birdhouse a little...it looks dirty.
I know you're going for a "weathered" effect, but I think it's been
weathered just a little too much. :) The bendiness of the fence rails is
a great touch...I think I would reduce the bendiness just a little,
though. They all seem to be tilted down a little, too. I love the way
the snow lies on the far rails. :)

The moon is a great addition. I think you should leave the sky just the
way it is...I think it really sets off the white snow really well (and
skies that blue do happen occasionally in winter!)

Great work, as always!!

~Mike