POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k : Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:34:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:10:16
Message: <41cb4248$1@news.povray.org>
Aaron Gillies wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Thanks for the respond on my image.
>
> I agree that scale is sort of confusing here.  It is always a big issue
> for me.  I think one of the crucial things is getting the textures to be
> scaled in the proper proportions to the objects.  Also, I like shiny
> stuff -- it makes for an appealing image -- but it detracts from any
> sense of realism in the scene.  So I will have to work on making the
> copper texture of the building tarnished, while still making it look
> like copper.
>
> When I come back to my work after not looking at it for a long time, it
> always seems like the objects are too reflective, too specular and their
>  textures are two large for the object size.  This tends to make them
> look like toys rather than real things.  Although, it is comforting to
> think that the original Myst also had this problem. :)

I agree that properly scaled textures can go a long way to improving the
overall sense of scale in an image. However you also have to remember
that you are dealing here with a fantasy landscape so some artistic
license is in order. I agree you might want to turn down the specularity
of the domes a bit, but don't go too far either, you'd be surprised how
bright a pure coper dome of this size would look in bright sunlight.