POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k : Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:35:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game II ~ 200k
From: Aaron Gillies
Date: 23 Dec 2004 09:30:31
Message: <41cad687$1@news.povray.org>
Folks:

Thanks for the respond on my image.

I agree that scale is sort of confusing here.  It is always a big issue
for me.  I think one of the crucial things is getting the textures to be
scaled in the proper proportions to the objects.  Also, I like shiny
stuff -- it makes for an appealing image -- but it detracts from any
sense of realism in the scene.  So I will have to work on making the
copper texture of the building tarnished, while still making it look
like copper.

When I come back to my work after not looking at it for a long time, it
always seems like the objects are too reflective, too specular and their
  textures are two large for the object size.  This tends to make them
look like toys rather than real things.  Although, it is comforting to
think that the original Myst also had this problem. :)

Aaron