POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Car modeling update [76K] : Re: Car modeling update [55K] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Car modeling update [55K]
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 21 Dec 2004 07:34:16
Message: <41c81848@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> That is my most wished for thing in Wings.

   Yes, it would be a crucial addition, at least for integration with
POV-Ray. It would permit to do many things with the models, not only
animation.

> I hack it the following way:
> Make the edgeloop into a narrow band of polys.
> Assign separate texture names to each one of the polys in desired sequence.
> Highlight and export the polys to .obj format
> Parse the .obj file externally ( I use Python )
> In the program derive the center points and center normal for each poly
> Write them to POV arrays in the sequence determined by their associated
> materials.
> Use as .inc to your SDL

   Wow... you really needed it, isn't? :) In my case I've finished
faster by coding some strategic points by hand, as the circuit has many
straight parts, and the curves are clean. But many thanks for the tip, I
saved the message for a future need.

--
Jaime