POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb : Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 20 Dec 2004 11:32:59
Message: <41c6febb$1@news.povray.org>
Aaron Gillies wrote:
> "Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
>

>>Wow! When I first looked at this image, i thought "Bryce" right away. And I
>>havn't used Bryce it first came out! Although, my reason was the horizon and
>>the water. It's almost nostalgic, i spent way too much time my freshman year
>>of college playing with bryce :) I found bryce before povray.
>

> Oh ...
>
> I guess that explains Light Beam's comment.
>
> I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed to have gone through all the
> work only to replicate the effects of that program.  I always thought that
> the landscapes that people made with it were awful. :)

Don't worry, your work wasn't wasted. :)

I have seen enough Bryce work (and used it myself to a small extent) to
agree with you - I prefer even Terragen (of which I'm no great fan) to
Bryce. And, of course, POV-Ray is leaps and bounds higher than that. :)
If you wanted to reduce the Bryce effect I would probably think about
your lighting some more. All the Bryce renders I've seen had very simple
and point-light lighting in them. I might also do something with the
sand, but I'm not sure what. It looks rather like it's all one piece
(like a glued sandcastle) rather than blowable dry stuff.

I like the texture on the rock as well. An interesting mix of "Clay
Sculpture" on the near side and "Petrified Driftwood" on the right.

I've thought about doing a Myst-style game with POV-Ray before.
Something akin to the "static postcard" thing. The problem I see with
this is that it would be incredibly labor-intensive to create the many
different environments. But, the advantage would be that it would look
awesome in the end. :)

I'm anxious to see more of this. I like the "fantasy" kind of feeling it
evokes.

~Mike

I really like the way the sand sort of fades into the water.