POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Miss you - WIP Update : Re: Miss you - WIP Update Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:43:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miss you - WIP Update
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Dec 2004 17:57:43
Message: <41c60767@news.povray.org>
> i dont think you need anything in the gap, seems to emphasize the
> emptiness already

That's what I thought. The gap is a little too large, so I think I'll pull
the forest closer unless I find something suitable for the expanse.

> do you really get snow that deep on branches ( two stand out )?
> sorry, i'm in the uk, odds for xmas snow are rumoured to to be
> significantly lower this year !

It is a little overdone, true. I want to tone it down somewhat, problem is,
reference pics I found so far have that much snow on them, the branches are
all drooping under the weight... Additionally, the amount of snow makes it
easier to see how much there really is, and to get a sense of when it's too
much.

> maybe snow on 'Back in Spring' board ??

That should actually be paper, nailed to the tree, but I'm not yet sure if
that's final.

> snow at base of tree, applicable to all trees in forest or just say 2/3
> in from edge ?
> trees on the leeward side of forest would logically get less

Yup, that's on my to-do list. The forest was just a rough first
implementation to spread it, the snow was added as an afterthought to every
tree within a 250 unit range.

> slightly more bark effect on main tree ?

I'll try, though I like this one. Too much makes it obvious that it's just a
normal map, so it has to be carefully checked.

> did you repeat the same tree throughout ? maybe some variation in height
> is needed at random

Nope, four new different trees for the forest, with random height/size and
position. Maybe I need to enlargen the randomness in height a little.

> but as usual for you - WOW

Eh, thanks for the praise... :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"