POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wooden Furniture : Re: Wooden Furniture Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:42:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wooden Furniture
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 19 Dec 2004 00:10:08
Message: <41c50d30$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> But the reason I was using three lights was to get **enough** illumination.
> Just one light doesn't seem to cut it, so I'm wondering if there's something
> basically wrong in my approach or system.
>
> So the question would be - in any typically arbitrary scene such as modeling
> a TV or a plant or a table or desk, can you illuminate the scene with one
> light source which would approximately simulate one 100W lightbulb in the
> room, at 6-18 feet away?
>
> My answer would be - nope- need multiple lights. What's that tell you?
>

> I'll try the gamma correction right now.

 From an advanced newbie...

Realistically simulating lamplight (or any other kind of real-world
light source) in POV-Ray is a good deal more complicated than simply
defining a light source at a certain distance, with a certain
value/intensity, and hoping for the best.

First of all, a default light source has no falloff. The light rays will
be equally bright whether they're 100 units away or 10,000 units. The
only difference is how many rays hit the object (since a default light
source emits light in all directions, placing the light source very far
away spreads the rays out more, thereby making an object *appear*
darker). In reality, it's just receiving fewer beams.

However, putting your light source very close isn't always the answer
either, since you'll have high concentrations of light beams in a small
area, causing washed-out spots.

GrimDude is simply saying that you'll get smoother coverage with your
lights - the rays will be more spread-out, reducing blown highlights -
by moving your light sources farther away. I would have said exactly the
same thing myself if I had noticed the problem (it really didn't strike
me). When I'm not trying to achieve photorealism, I quite often put my
lights 500+ units away, even if my object is only a few units each
dimension. If I had a very large object, eg. 30x30x30, I would probably
put my lights even farther, such as 800. That's just how I tend to
operate, however. If you really want a photorealistic effect, the rules
all change.

There are ways to make the light sources behave realistically. POV-Ray
supports light falloff and fading, which, when set properly (an area I
can't advise on, unfortunately) can produce quite realistic results. If
you want to look these up, look for the 'falloff' and 'fade_distance'
keywords in the Help file.

Incidentally, Jaime Vives Piqueres has done some research into the
physical properties of light and has created some macros for realistic
light simulation. I am still learning how to use them myself, but you
might find them interesting. http://ignorancia.org/lightsys.php

Hope this helps somehow. As long as you keep in mind that I'm not an
expert and thus take all this with a grain of salt, I think you'll be
okay. :)

~Mike