POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wooden Furniture : Re: Wooden Furniture Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wooden Furniture
From: GrimDude
Date: 18 Dec 2004 10:40:38
Message: <41c44f76$1@news.povray.org>
What you have here is great, yet overwhelmed with light (I believe).

Somewhere on the Pov server is a gif image used to adjust your monitor for
the proper gamma value. You can ask about it in povray.general, or if I come
across it later I'll reply again here. Whichever value it comes up with is
the value you want to use as the assumed gamma.

White backgrounds are good, too. You don't have to use white, though. I
prefer to think of the background as the environment in which I would
normally find the object I am rendering. I use white only after I have
control of the lighting. However, I do use a sky_sphere rather than a plane.

sky_sphere { pigment { gradient y poly_wave 1.5 color_map {
      [0 color rgb .99]
      [.35 color rgb 1.33] } } }

This isn't written in stone, though, so even if it gives you good results
continue to experiment. I'm one guy that always breaks the rules in search
of my personal 'artistic impression.'

For wod, though, I think I'd be going in a different direction. I'd probably
use a slightly blue, or even yellow light source. But again, this is not as
important as control of the light is. In your image I see the light_source
as overwhelming the object. Move the light back by at least 350 units in
every direction. That's a good place to start, anyway. If you need a light
in one area in order to bring out some details, don't be afraid to add a
diminished light value that is also shadowless (so it doesn't leave clues as
to its presence. Something like:

light_source { <#,#,#> rgb .3 shadowless }

Good luck.

- Grim