POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dropsnow Macro Examples (48kb, 52kb & 14kb) : Re: Snow-Modification (14kb) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow-Modification (14kb)
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 17 Dec 2004 12:15:36
Message: <41c31438$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> I've written a macro which will read the particles' data and let the User
> define two macros to modify the snow: one will just modify the height (by
> multiplying with the return-value of the Macro), the other will add/subtract
> from the height. Once the multiplier and/or the height gets negative, the
> particle will be removed.
>
> This is the result when pairing the existing snow with the turbulence-field
> to adjust the height of particles. Just a rough proof-of-concept.

I'm floored. This macro of yours is turning out to be so much more than
I thought it would end up as. I was just wondering the other day how
your macro would handle scattered lumps of snow on a pine tree, for
example (as I stared out the window at just that). This shows me that it
very well can do just that. Bravo!! :)

> Other effects, like moss or paint, may follow and/or can be written by the
> User himself.

I have two projects now for these macros: my original (a "fake or
foto"-style thing to try and replicate a cool winter photo I took last
year around this time), and something like this:
http://ricoholmes.com/Gallery/Images/Ga_Tower.htm . I was amazed when I
found it, love it still (it's stayed as my desktop wallpaper longer than
any image I can remember) and now I says to meself, great scott, I can
do my own version with Tim Nikias' super nifty macros.

I think this should get included with v4.0. :)

~Mike