POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dropsnow Macro Examples (48kb, 52kb & 14kb) : Snow-Modification (14kb) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Snow-Modification (14kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 17 Dec 2004 10:05:45
Message: <41c2f5c9@news.povray.org>
I've written a macro which will read the particles' data and let the User
define two macros to modify the snow: one will just modify the height (by
multiplying with the return-value of the Macro), the other will add/subtract
from the height. Once the multiplier and/or the height gets negative, the
particle will be removed.

This is the result when pairing the existing snow with the turbulence-field
to adjust the height of particles. Just a rough proof-of-concept.

As a final note: I've now figured the official name for the macros: I'll
name them the "Surcoat-Macros". The Surcoat-System is just used to sample a
surface and collect/remove samples with various macros to take care of steep
surfaces or the like. The files returned by the Surcoat-System are pretty
simple: a succession of a sample's positions and it's surface normal. Other
Macros build on this data and are called Plug-Ins. The snowfall-macros is
one such plug-in, as it adds a little more data (e.g. the height of a
particle) to simulate snow-related effects.

Other effects, like moss or paint, may follow and/or can be written by the
User himself.

Regards,
Tim

--