POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dropsnow Macro Examples (48kb, 52kb & 14kb) : Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 15 Dec 2004 13:08:28
Message: <41c07d9c@news.povray.org>
> Tim, this all looks fabulous. Incredible work. You have something really
> great going on here.

Thank you. Motivating feedback is always good. :-)

> There's just one thing I thought of this morning while looking out over
> the yard, which just acquired its first good snow yesterday. Snow
> doesn't fall evenly or perfectly vertically, and even once it falls
> there's still significant scattering once on the ground due to wind.
SNIP

Yeah, drifts and the like... What actually *is* implemented is a check if
the surface below the particle is thick enough, if it isn't, the particle
gets removed. Of course, if you shoot vertically down a thin cylinder, the
bottom would be far enough to pass the test... Generally, I think this set
of macros is best used with some manual tweaking, like using a slightly
different object for the particle sampling than for the filters. As for
drifts: You'd still need some order within the randomization process, or
you'd just end up with chaotic displacements of particles. Still, this is
something I plan on integrating somehow, probably for the visualization
phase. One could use the turbulence field or a function to modify the
heights of particles or remove them altogether (e.g. interpolating from
unchanged particles to smaller particles and finally removing them). It's
something I've got in mind. Actually, like with my I/O Particle System, I
want to create a macros which make it easy for advanced Users to build their
own filters and modifiers.

> But even without that you have some great work here, and some incredible
> results. I'm first in line to download the macros when you release them
> (I have a project all scoped out - actually one I've wanted to try for
> some time). :)

Oooh, pressure! Someone needs my macros! Ups! Deleted everything, can't work
under pressure. ;-)

I'll post a note when the macros are released, but that might still be a few
weeks off.

Regards,
Tim

--