POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dropsnow Macro Examples (48kb, 52kb & 14kb) : Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb)
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 15 Dec 2004 12:47:10
Message: <41c0789e@news.povray.org>
Tim, this all looks fabulous. Incredible work. You have something really
great going on here.

There's just one thing I thought of this morning while looking out over
the yard, which just acquired its first good snow yesterday. Snow
doesn't fall evenly or perfectly vertically, and even once it falls
there's still significant scattering once on the ground due to wind. I
think a good addition to your macro, if you're still in a programming
mood, would be a randomization step. It would come after you run the
particles through the filters but before you calculate drifts. Something
that would randomize the location of each particle for a small amount.
You would probably have to run the filters again to make sure you don't
end up with particles hanging out in space.

I think this would help eliminate that "blobby" look there sometimes is
and would give it a more natural look. It would also add the very
natural occurence of uneven coverage and even bare spots on a tree (a
pine tree in the backyard has small spots of snow (six inches or so)
every so often and the rest of the tree is bare).

I would also add in a filter that would take snow off of objects that
are really small (third level branches, for example). Snow just doesn't
often stick to objects that small anyway, unless there's a huge amount
of snow, in which case it covers everything.

But even without that you have some great work here, and some incredible
results. I'm first in line to download the macros when you release them
(I have a project all scoped out - actually one I've wanted to try for
some time). :)

Keep it up!

~Mike