POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Star Wars Battle Droid : Re: Star Wars Battle Droid Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star Wars Battle Droid
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 13 Dec 2004 12:43:01
Message: <41bdd4a5@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch wrote:
>>Did you make the model in another program and are importing it into POV-Ray?
>
>>If so, don't do the duplication before converting it to a POV-Ray file...
>>convert the model first, group it together using a union and declare it as
>>an object, and then use a loop in the POV-Ray file to duplicate them the
>>required number of times.
>
> Addendum:  And if you're importing it as a POV-Ray mesh object, declaring
> the mesh as an object and then doing the duplication in POV-Ray will use
> hardly any additional memory (as the mesh is only stored in RAM once,
> despite the fact that you may have it 40000 times in a scene).

Lance - yes, I'm converting it from MLCAD's native .ldr format (but
unfortunately it's not a mesh). Already doing the loops.

Here's a progress shot of the army. I'd still like to play with the sky
a bit - I had another heightfield at one point that was supposed to be
mountains in the back (looked more like a volcano exploding right behind
the troops), but a rotation mistake put it above the camera and it
looked great as a sky plane. :)

I also need to add some explosions and blaster bolts (which may be the
most difficult of all, though trace() will help a lot to make sure
nobody gets shot in the back of the head).

~Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'army.jpg' (63 KB)