POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow-on-Tree Macro : Re: Better view on the tree Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Better view on the tree
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Dec 2004 14:42:17
Message: <41b8aa99$1@news.povray.org>
SNIP
> The thing is that even on the branches
> that are nearly vertical, there are snow particles. Since it's still
> green here (not that I'm complaining) I can't verify this for myself,
> but it seems to me like only really wet snow will stick at that angle.
> Maybe you need to incorporate some Teflon into your macro? :)

Like I said, there was no discarding of the samples yet, this will be done
with other macros. So as long as the surface doesn't actually point
downwards, particles will stick. "Teflon" will be implemented in successive
macros to be run over the collected data.

> This was especially evident on the trunk. Generally there would be a
> little bit of wind (snow very rarely falls straight down - maybe you
> should change the angle you shoot trace() from, if that's possible?), so
> snow would stick more evenly on one side and very little at all on the
> other side.

It was shot in -y-direction, as that is the topview. I've already been
thinking about how to add a different vector, but this should be implemented
for the topview-macro as well, and then things get difficult successively
for the calculation of the grid etc. But it is on my to-do list.

> The more I look at these WIP renders the more I think this should be a
> POVCOMP entry... :)

I'd have to read the rules first to find out if it is okay to make use of
Arbaro for the tree, and then I'd have to ask permission of the person I'm
making this image for. It'll be a christmas present and images that I've
made as a gift are meant to stay unique prints. Putting it on a Poster would
make it famous, but then again, lots of people would have it hanging in
their room (wishful thinking?), and that's like everyone owning a Mona
Lisa... But I'll give it a thought. :-)

Thanks for the positive feedback, BTW.

Regards,
Tim