POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow-on-Tree Macro : Re: Better view on the tree Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Better view on the tree
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 9 Dec 2004 14:27:46
Message: <41b8a732$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> I've forgotten to add the tree itself in the last image, it's kinda hard to
> see that the particles are really *on* the surface without it...

I'm the last person qualified to give advice on something this advanced,
but something sticks out to me. The snow on the tree looks fantastic. It
really looks like, well, snow! The thing is that even on the branches
that are nearly vertical, there are snow particles. Since it's still
green here (not that I'm complaining) I can't verify this for myself,
but it seems to me like only really wet snow will stick at that angle.
Maybe you need to incorporate some Teflon into your macro? :)

This was especially evident on the trunk. Generally there would be a
little bit of wind (snow very rarely falls straight down - maybe you
should change the angle you shoot trace() from, if that's possible?), so
snow would stick more evenly on one side and very little at all on the
other side.

The more I look at these WIP renders the more I think this should be a
POVCOMP entry... :)

~Mike