POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Speaker : Re: Speaker Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaker
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 9 Dec 2004 14:19:29
Message: <41b8a541$1@news.povray.org>
Alex wrote:
> I'm running out of ideas on how to making it more photo-realistic, I think
> the blurred reflection would give it a very nice touch, I'll start
> experimenting with that... now about the darkness, it looked fine on my
> monitor, but then I notice it's too dark here at the office, I just don't
> know where to start:

Every once in a while I come across a new secret to photorealism. Of
course, none of them are really secret, since most of them were showed
to me by other people, but at any rate you might want to keep these in
mind. There may be others as well, I just haven't learned them yet:

  - Excruciating detail. Down to the last rivet.
  - Real-world textures. If you look at it closely, nothing is really as
smooth as you think it is.
  - Lighting. Others can explain it better than I, but apparently the
key is to use *really* high brightnesses (ie thousands) and extremely
short fade-distances.

I was quite impressed with the speaker when I saw it. Great attention to
detail already. The little Sony sticker is a great touch. :) Already a
nice work, even without further detailing. :) Can't wait to see the full
set.

~Mike