POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Star Wars Battle Droid : Re: Star Wars Battle Droid Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star Wars Battle Droid
From: Lance Birch
Date: 9 Dec 2004 01:29:35
Message: <41b7f0cf$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Thorn" <mik### [at] realitycheckmultimediacom> wrote in message
> Lance Birch wrote:
> > Now it's time for rendering the obligatory arrayed-army of them ;)
> >
> > rendertime++
>
> The army is on its way, pending the learning of a couple features.
>
> And rendertime? You wouldn't believe how long it takes to parse a
> 100x100 array of these guys...I actually ran out of memory trying to
> create a 200x200 army. If the converter didn't do such wacky things with
> the positioning (it uses matrices for everything and I hate those) it
> would be easier to align the camera in such a way that minimal numbers
> of units could be used with maximum exposure and effect.

Heh, yes I figured as much :)

Did you make the model in another program and are importing it into POV-Ray?
If so, don't do the duplication before converting it to a POV-Ray file...
convert the model first, group it together using a union and declare it as
an object, and then use a loop in the POV-Ray file to duplicate them the
required number of times.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com