POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : improved sunset : Re: improved sunset Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: improved sunset
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 8 Dec 2004 19:40:17
Message: <41b79ef1$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Well I added something better than a flat plane, and moved the camera under
> the clouds.
>
> For some reason it rendered *really* slow (and we're talking pixels per
> minute here) if I tried to use the media clouds and the 10000 trees at the
> same time.  So I rendered it twice, once without the clouds, and once
> without the trees.  Then joined them together in paint shop.  Took about an
> hour to render in total at 1600x1200 resolution.  I think it would have
> taken a year to do it all in one go!

I can wholly relate to slow render times. :) I'll use it on my kids,
when I have a few, and tell them it builds character.

I like the sunset a lot. It was a little confusing before, with the
clouds below the camera and all. One question from someone who has had
mostly just static placement experience: how did you place the trees on
the terrain - I understand random placement - but how did you get them
to stay on top of the heightfield?

Great work. Some focal blur would be really cool too (but that would
kill your render time badly).

~Mike