POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX : Re: 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:07:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Nov 2004 17:14:03
Message: <41a264ab$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.41a261d91d86abe7fb21162f0@news.povray.org> , "Mark Ulrich"
<nomail@nomail> wrote:

> if I remember right, you will need a package called "binutils".
>

> distribution.

No, that is plain wrong.  Mac OS X is not Linux and packages are not managed
in a manner as cumbersome as they are on most Linux distributions.  Apple
provides a proper installer for the development tools with every copy of Mac
OS X.

The FSF gcc package will not and cannot work as expected on Mac OS X at all
as the gcc provided by Apple is not identical to the official FSF gcc branch
because Apple headers expect very advanced Objective C support in the
compiler that has been waiting to be approved to be part of the official FSF
gcc for many years (a very long story).  And there are many other very
important differences that require very intimate knowledge of the system to
work around (it can be done, yes).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg