POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sitting Cat - WIP : Re: Sitting Cat - WIP Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sitting Cat - WIP
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 22 Nov 2004 13:36:12
Message: <41a2319c$1@news.povray.org>
> I also agree about the color/textures - it actually looks a bit fuzzy
> the way it is! It would be interesting to try that SSS technique posted
> here the other day as well.  Overall very nice, tho.

I gave SSS a try when I was beginning with the texturing, and it's really
difficult to set up properly and get a good visual effect, especially with
the complicated shape of the blob. For now, SSS has been ruled out until I
have some more time to create a proper technique which gives guaranteed good
results, no matter the angle.

> The only thing that hits me a little strangely is the shape of the snout
> in the face-on model. It looks a little too large. The real ones blend
> in with the rest of the head and come to a bit more of a point (the nose
> makes kind of a blunt point, rather than just the apex of the blob).
> That might be difficult to do with blobs, tho, I don't know. In the side
> models it looks right.

Yeah, head on the cat's face looks a little strange, but it's mostly
lighting, blob's limitations and the texturing (no actual fur) which spoil
that view. As the cat will be seen sideways, I think I'll leave it at that.
I've learned that it's often better to head for proper "final" results,
rather than focus on details that won't be visible. I can always refine
models and textures when I need them in a different setting.

> Great job overall! An excellent model.

Thank you! Quite some work involved to get a decent cat. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"