POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sitting Cat - WIP : Re: Sitting Cat - WIP Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sitting Cat - WIP
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 22 Nov 2004 13:28:46
Message: <41a22fde@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> So, I've had some spare time and continued with the modelling of my "Sitting
> Cat". It now features a tail, whiskers, and even a nice nose. :-)
>
> The colors aren't final yet, I'm undecided if I want to go with this
> color-theme, or if I'll switch to something more gray/brown/black-ish, it'll
> probably depend on how the cat looks when placed inside the scene (which has
> yet to be built...).
>
> In case anyone's wondering, I've made excessive use of object-patterns,
> trace(), pigment-functions and the like to composite and generate general
> pattern for the cat, which I then color using a simple color_map. The nose
> is actually taken off a photo and, using functions again to create a
> transparency map of off the inverted grayscale image of the nose, the image
> is placed onto a sphere and position where it is now. The whiskers are CSG
> made with a simple macro.
>
> I'm wondering if I'll add some sort of hair to the cat for a more furry and
> chaotic look, but I want to focus on different parts of the image and leave
> that detail for later. It wouldn't harm if the cat were as orderly as it is
> now, but it would harm if other objects are missing in the final image! ;-)

Like stm said, the eyes are a little off. I think they should be
smaller, too. Good color choice, though. :)

I also agree about the color/textures - it actually looks a bit fuzzy
the way it is! It would be interesting to try that SSS technique posted
here the other day as well.  Overall very nice, tho.

The only thing that hits me a little strangely is the shape of the snout
in the face-on model. It looks a little too large. The real ones blend
in with the rest of the head and come to a bit more of a point (the nose
makes kind of a blunt point, rather than just the apex of the blob).
That might be difficult to do with blobs, tho, I don't know. In the side
models it looks right.

Great job overall! An excellent model.

~Mike