POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The College Logo and University Seal : Re: The College Logo and University Seal Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The College Logo and University Seal
From: =Bob=
Date: 17 Nov 2004 09:17:38
Message: <419b5d82@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in message news:419a85ed$1@news.povray.org...
: > media
: Oh, *that's* where those shadows are from. I don't think your media sampling
: parameters are high enough; the shadow shouldn't look like bars.

Yeah, I kind-of liked it that way, but I know what you mean.

: Be sure to have two light sources: one in a light_group with the media, as a
: point light. The other in a light group with the rest of the scene, as an
: area light. This avoids doing area light sampling on the media which causes
: huge unnecessary slowdowns. (Area light sampling is still done for the
: shadow tests which pass through scattering media; this can be avoided by
: giving the media no_shadow, but that may also change the appearance of the
: media so weigh your options.)

Yep, that's what I have.

: > antialiasing method 2, depth 3,  threshold 0.01
:
: Turn your threshold up. Make it at *least* 0.1. Preferably as high as 0.2.
: Get it as high as you can without aliasing artifacts showing up.

It was difficult to get the small stuff to antialias without
that threshold, but I can try higher values and a 5x5
area light as you suggest.

: Right now
: you're doing antialiasing in probably almost every pixel of the scene - even
: in those huge, nearly solid colored areas where you'd never notice the
: difference.

Ok, I can try that.

: > a 4x4 area light.
: Make it 5x5 and add "adaptive 1" to it. Then you'll do 3x3 sampling in
: probably 99% of the scene, and 5x5 sampling only where necessary.
: You might even try "adaptive 0" to get only 2x2 sampling in most of the
: scene (and more only when necessary), but the one shadow I see is fairly
: blurry so that may cause artifacts.
: With some tweaking, I think this scene could be made to render in a matter
: of a few hours.

Thanks! I will try your suggestions.
=Bob=