POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a couple of wheels (POV vs ProEngineer) : a couple of wheels (POV vs ProEngineer) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  a couple of wheels (POV vs ProEngineer)
From: scott
Date: 15 Nov 2004 15:09:33
Message: <41990cfd@news.povray.org>
Here are two wheels I drew, I was roughly trying to copy the wheels off my
radio controlled car, but I didn't actually have them in front of me while I
was drawing.

Anyway, the one on the green background I did completely in POV (using solid
of revolution and prism cuts) and it took a couple of hours.  The one on the
white background I did at work using ProEngineer in my lunch break, took
about 30 mins to model and another 5 or so to import into POV.  I would have
added some tread to the tyre but I ran out of time!

So, after this experience, here are some points I've noticed:

* In POV it is very hard to add rounds to edges that are a result of complex
CSG, it takes lots of thought and is a pain in the bum.  In a modeller it is
easy to just select the edge and choose "round" no matter how wiggly or
curved it is.
* Getting the actual shape right takes a long time in POV, unless you have
actual measurements to use it takes a lot of trial and error to get
something that looks right.
* Making quick little changes is very easy in a modeller, but having to
export and import into POV every time you decide something isn't quite right
is a pain in the behind.  The files are also very big if you want good
quality (I think that wheel was 80k triangles or something).
* Using the solid of revolution feature it took me a while to get the
straight edges / rounded bits right, lots of faffing around.  In the
modeller you can just draw and see exactly what you're doing in real time.
* I can get away with drawing wheels in POV at work, but not drawing them in
the modeller :-)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'wheel.jpg' (24 KB) Download 'wheel1.jpg' (18 KB)

Preview of image 'wheel.jpg'
wheel.jpg

Preview of image 'wheel1.jpg'
wheel1.jpg