POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Sitting Cat : WIP - Sitting Cat with fur Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  WIP - Sitting Cat with fur
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 Nov 2004 14:12:29
Message: <4193b99d@news.povray.org>
So, here's my first attempt at creating a fur texture. Fiddling with media
showed that I would need lots of tests and then still everything would be
dependant on the lighting. As I want to keep my options open and the
rendertimes low, I've resorted to using an average texture. Works rather
fast, though I intend to fiddle around some more to see if I can get some
more interesting and realistic effects, this might increase the rendering
time again... Requires at least one light-source to cause specular
highlights on the fur.

The pigment is just a test, I'm planning to use trace() and position a
colored blob onto the cat, then use the image-function, blur that and use
that as a basis. That way, I can texture the back of the cat different than
the belly, and need not worry about projections (e.g. when using gradients
to get a different color on the spine than on the rest, the color would show
up on the belly as well).

The technique used to create the fur/velvet effect is very simple, my main
idea was to create specular highlights with a positive pigment, and then
subtract some of the highlights using a negative pigment, thus creating that
fur/velvet look. I've later remembered Rune's fur and had a look at it, and
it does it pretty much the same way... Funny coincidence, as Rune and I
always tend to work on similiar include-files, though at different times.
Sometimes he's first, sometimes I am. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"