POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cellular Automata : Cellular Automata Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Cellular Automata
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 10 Nov 2004 08:57:11
Message: <41921e37@news.povray.org>
I was working with a couple of students on cellular automata, and
thought I'd share the file I used to create the 1-dimensional
(elementary) version (see PTSF for my code and see
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ElementaryCellularAutomaton.html for some
explanation.

The images are nothing special, and they don't compress very well (by
their very nature), but I included 2 anyway.  It is somewhat instructive
to color the cells according to the state of their neighbors.  This
allows you to anticipate the next generation, and see the rule better.
I've use the convention:
rgb <state_of_left_neighbor, state_of_cell, state_of_right_neighbor>
so that any cells with green in them (green, yellow, blue-green, white)
are "alive."

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ca_001.jpg' (70 KB) Download 'ca_006.jpg' (95 KB)

Preview of image 'ca_001.jpg'
ca_001.jpg

Preview of image 'ca_006.jpg'
ca_006.jpg