POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:08:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 8 Nov 2004 15:15:16
Message: <418fd3d4@news.povray.org>

418f6e70@news.povray.org...

> But unless your models lend themselves to being made simply in POV, you
> will
> save time by using a modeller and hence be able to spend more time making
> your scene look amazing, which is what the judges want IMHO.

There are many areas where the power of POV-Ray's SDL can be harnessed to
create amazing things without equivalent in a modeller. After all, there's a
good reason why some sort of script is supported in many high-end 3D
packages...
Basically, everything that can be built algorithmically through a
shape-building macro has a definite edge over modellers, where this sort of
procedure isn't very natural. Creating a macro to generate hundreds or
thousands of different objects based on a random seed is something quite
unique to POV-Ray for instance (see Chris Colefax's city generator, or my
own pipe and cloud macro). POV-Ray's SDL will let you place them
automatically and cleverly too. High-end modellers can do this sort of
things, but it's really more work than it would be in POV-Ray (at least from
my current experience with Rhino and Cinema 4D). If you throw in mesh
instanciation and a smart use of primitives, it becomes possible to create
insanely complex-looking structures without a render farm. Actually, POV-Ray
can manage complexity quite well.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com