POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Nov 2004 18:30:48
Message: <418d5ea8$1@news.povray.org>

web.418d1c60b45fa19e3395a5e60@news.povray.org...

> I don't see the point in continuing as this a complete waste of my effort,
> I can better spend my
time on other more important matters.

There are things that are better done in SDL. Others are better done with
modellers. This is nothing new: the old hall of fame from the mid 90s
featured renders of models created in pure SDL and renders of models created
in 3D Studio.  Btw, the idea that something done with a modeller is always
faster and easier is plain wrong. As someone who has been using modellers
for a while, I can tell you that it's certainly difficult. A single model
can take weeks or months. And one can spend a lot of time on a mesh model
and still end up with something ugly. Modellers are not magical tools!

Again, it's the right tool for the right job. If your project is one where
pure SDL is the perfect tool and that the result is "world-class" (not that
I'm fond of this expression) it will have demonstrated "the full potential
of POV-Ray" and will be rewarded accordingly.

In any case, given the variety of talents existing in the POV-Ray community,
I wouldn't be surprised that the best entries cover the whole gamut of what
is possible to do with POV-Ray nowdays, from complex constructs built
entirely in SDL to mesh-based scenes, and mixtures of both. This was already
the case for the entries submitted so far and the current Hall of fame is
also a good demonstration of this.

To put it simply, people should not worry about the way the tools they use
will be perceived by the judges. Use what you think is best to get the
results you want, and, if you know your trade well, you just can't be wrong.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com