POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Twin Girls with a Pearl Earring : Re: The Twin Girls with a Pearl Earring Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Twin Girls with a Pearl Earring
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 5 Nov 2004 09:18:31
Message: <418b8bb7$1@news.povray.org>
Rene Bui wrote:
> The Twin Girls with a Pearl Earring
> after Vermeer (1658 ?)
>
> Hi all,
> This is my POVCOMP wip. I don't know if it was a good idea to post this
> image according to the rule of anonymity, but I can't wait for your
> opinions.

This is one of the best renderings of a human head I've seen.  Looking
through many 3d art sites (thanks to the links provided by Gilles), I
was struck by how many of them had adopted this bizarre video-game
sexy-mannequin female as a supposedly realistic ideal.  This is totally
the opposite.  It captures the human quality so well.  If I knew more
about art, I could probably identify why.  It might be the slight
overbite, or the roundness to the jowls -- something.  But this is
really remarkable.  And the textures and draping of the cloth is
perfect.  Get this finished and turned in, please!

A few more like this, and the contest will have plenty of examples of
what POVRay can do in the hands of artists.

> It is completly handmade in Wings with the magical and very useful *tweak*
> tool, then rendered in Mlpov/Pov 3.5.

This is probably ^why^ it's so much better than the commercial, canned
POSER figures.

And when the contest is over, perhaps you can write a tutorial.  Many of
us would be very grateful.

Dave Matthews