POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
14 May 2024 18:00:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: St
Date: 4 Nov 2004 16:51:18
Message: <418aa456@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
> > I bet you haven't touched a modeler for, ooooh, sometime now?
>
> How about never? :) I did play with Rhino and Wings for a couple of
> evenings, but never actually modeled anything.

    Well, at least you know what's involved with these modelers. I
tried Rhino, and didn't know what I was looking at. :/

> > The thing is Shay, I can't see any other way forwards than to
> > use a modeler if you want a complete <and fairly realistic>
> > scene.
>
> I can't afford the RAM to make a scene as "complete" as many of
those in
> the links with *any* tool, especially poster sized, but my image was
not
>   abstract, a mathematical figure, or a procedural landscape.
Probably
> thousands of lines of code. In a few evenings (*if* I had the RAM),
> could add a few trees, flags, or whatever filler I wanted and have
the
> frame completely packed with details.

   But I'm the same with only 384Mb's of RAM. You really don't want to
know how many times Wings crashes on me with the models that I make.
In fact, I have Wings3d19, 22, 24, and 25 installed here, and the best
one for me is the '19' version. I think this is because from version
22 on, they used a progress bar, and *I* think this 'hassles' the
progress of modeling in this particular program, (any other Wingers
notice this?) Still, I will reset, and reboot as many times as I have
to, to get that object!  ;)

> > If you've achieved this, then I can't wait to see
> > your submission.
>
> Not sure if I'll leave it up. I haven't canceled it yet. I'll
probably
> decide something on Jan 31. I'm just flat out of resources. I could
doll
> it up a *bit* over the next three months, but it would still be a
> two-month scene, and no small part of that two months was spent on
> resource management already. Sort of bringing a knife to a gun
fight,
> and I don't want to submit anything to which I would feel any desire
> attach an excuse.

   Shay, don't worry about it. Leave it up, and/or improve it, (I
doubt it needs improving from what I've seen from you though).

  Good luck to you too.

   ~Steve~