POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
14 May 2024 02:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Shay
Date: 4 Nov 2004 15:25:14
Message: <418a902a$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> I bet you haven't touched a modeler for, ooooh, sometime now?

How about never? :) I did play with Rhino and Wings for a couple of
evenings, but never actually modeled anything.

> The thing is Shay, I can't see any other way forwards than to
> use a modeler if you want a complete <and fairly realistic>
> scene.

I can't afford the RAM to make a scene as "complete" as many of those in
the links with *any* tool, especially poster sized, but my image was not
  abstract, a mathematical figure, or a procedural landscape. Probably
thousands of lines of code. In a few evenings (*if* I had the RAM), I
could add a few trees, flags, or whatever filler I wanted and have the
frame completely packed with details.

> If you've achieved this, then I can't wait to see
> your submission.

Not sure if I'll leave it up. I haven't canceled it yet. I'll probably
decide something on Jan 31. I'm just flat out of resources. I could doll
it up a *bit* over the next three months, but it would still be a
two-month scene, and no small part of that two months was spent on
resource management already. Sort of bringing a knife to a gun fight,
and I don't want to submit anything to which I would feel any desire to
attach an excuse.

  -Shay