POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Most convoluted scene of its kind? : Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind?
From: Alain
Date: 3 Nov 2004 20:00:26
Message: <41897f2a$1@news.povray.org>
Andrew the Orchid nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-11-01
15:28... :

>>> "Interesting" as in "oh, that's interesting"?
>>> Or "interesting" as in "what the hell?... WHY did you do this???!"
>>

>> Both. :-)
>

> Oh, OK. :-)
>
>>> BTW... what do you make of the actual picture? Did you get it to
>>> complete rendering? (I have not done this yet - it takes too long.)
>>

>> I agree. The render takes very long. On my AMD64 3000+, I get about
>> 3PPS. So, I didn't bother to render it bigger than 160x120 (1h20m).
>> I'm not sure what the extra 2 planes are doing. I can see that the
>> plane{+y, -0.1} adds some nice ground effect. But it is also the one
>> responsible for the slow render. I can't figure out what the
>> plane{+y, +40} is doing though. Leaving it out doesn't seem to change
>> anything.
>

> Correction. Removing the sky plane makes the render go *drastically*
> faster - and I have no idea why. It seems to change the way the media
> sampling is done... weird.
>
> But yes - it's only there to make a reflection on the top of the
> sphere. It doesn't make a huge difference.
>
> BTW... I tried to render the thing at 800x600. It's still going now,
> 22 hours later. 74% done though...
>
> Andrew.

It's media, invisible at ground level, is everywhere. It would be beter
to diference it with another plane a few units lower, just low enough to
contain the planar density. Rendered at 1024*768 in about 19 hours on a
TBird 1400 with 512Mb. Average PPS around 16.

Alain