POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Most convoluted scene of its kind? : Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind?
From: Andrew the Orchid
Date: 2 Nov 2004 14:41:53
Message: <4187e301$1@news.povray.org>
>>>Now I'm going to render it and see.  :)
>>
>>Heh. Hope you have a fast PC...
>
> I yi yi!  I had to give it up.  I'm guessing the
> media is what slows it down.

Indeed. It does seem a little excessively slow, even for media...

Oh well, it was only supposed to demonstrate my Huffman decoder. (I
think I should have picked a scene file that actually *needed*
compressing, really... But I was going for the whole mirror-sphere
thing. LOL.)

>>I actually tried to write a version that uses arithmatic coding. In
>>fact, it works. Expect... Sometimes - just sometimes - the decoder
>>utterly looses synchronisation with the encoder, and I can't figure out
>>why. :'(
>
> you wrote an arithmetic coder as a pov-ray script?

Uh, yes.

> Ow.  That musta hurt.  I have one in c and that was
> a PITA to get working.

In C, *everything* hurts!

No, my arithmatic decoder works lovely... except... it randomly goes
wrong sometimes, and I don't know why. I _think_ there's something wrong
with the underflow handling either in the decompressor, or the extermal
program I use for encoding...

Andrew.