POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Wings newbie question : Re: Wings newbie question Server Time
17 May 2024 04:42:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wings newbie question
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Nov 2004 16:58:27
Message: <4186b183@news.povray.org>
regdo wrote:
> Hi to all.
> I'm trying myself at Wings and have a dumb question.
> I'm sure it's easy to do but I can't find a way.
> This is my problem : I'm trying to model a HP Pocket PC.
> It has 4 buttons on the front which are in a little depression.
> It was easy to make on out of the facet : by tesselating it, aligning four
> new vertexes in a square shape and smoothing that new facet (and moving it a
> bit downwards).
> My problem is for the three others : can anyone tell me how to make it
> simple ?
>
> I can send a pic of what has been done so far for simpler understanding.
> Thanks in advance !

Before getting too deep into it, have you play with the "extract region"
command on the Face Mode context menu?  It duplicates a set of faces or
polys. Then you can extrude from these new polys and get an object with
a face that duplicates your original.

  (As you know the Winged-edge paradigm requires that there be no free
edges.  Therefore this tool puts a sort of latent face across the back
of the copied faces to seal their edges.  Just something to watch for
when using it. )