POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Most convoluted scene of its kind? : Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind?
From: Andrew the Orchid
Date: 1 Nov 2004 15:28:42
Message: <41869c7a$1@news.povray.org>
>> "Interesting" as in "oh, that's interesting"?
>> Or "interesting" as in "what the hell?... WHY did you do this???!"
>
> Both. :-)

Oh, OK. :-)

>> BTW... what do you make of the actual picture? Did you get it to
>> complete rendering? (I have not done this yet - it takes too long.)
>

> I agree. The render takes very long. On my AMD64 3000+, I get about
> 3PPS. So, I didn't bother to render it bigger than 160x120 (1h20m). I'm
> not sure what the extra 2 planes are doing. I can see that the plane{+y,
> -0.1} adds some nice ground effect. But it is also the one responsible
> for the slow render. I can't figure out what the plane{+y, +40} is doing
> though. Leaving it out doesn't seem to change anything.

Correction. Removing the sky plane makes the render go *drastically*
faster - and I have no idea why. It seems to change the way the media
sampling is done... weird.

But yes - it's only there to make a reflection on the top of the sphere.
It doesn't make a huge difference.

BTW... I tried to render the thing at 800x600. It's still going now, 22
hours later. 74% done though...

Andrew.