POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot or not? : Re: Knot or not? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot or not?
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 31 Oct 2004 14:51:03
Message: <41854227@news.povray.org>
Andrew the Orchid wrote:

> Well, one of us has fluffed up somewhere :-S Since the procedure you
> undertook is simpler, I suspect it was me :-$
>
> Andrew.

Well, again studiously avoiding doing anything resembling mathematics
myself, I downloaded a "KnotTheory" Mathematica package (
http://www.math.toronto.edu/~drorbn/KAtlas/Manual/index.html ), and
typed in Jones[TorusKnot[3,2]][q], which produced q + q^3 - q^4 (which
is the same as for one of the Trefoil knots, and the picture the package
gives for the (3,2) Torus knot looks like a trefoil.  See the
attachment.  If I recall correctly (and that's a big ^if^), the
exponents in the Jones polynomial should always work out to be positive
or negative integers.  I suppose now I'm going to have to sit down and
think it through again.  I'm too old for this ;-)

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mathematicasnap.jpg' (19 KB)