POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot or not? : Re: Knot or not? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot or not?
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 31 Oct 2004 13:43:32
Message: <41853254$1@news.povray.org>
Andrew the Orchid wrote:

>> Well, if it's the same as the first knot, below, and I think it is,
>> then it's a "3,2 Torus Knot" (which I generated using KnotPlot --
>> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/imager/contributions/scharein/KnotPlot.html )
>>
>> In which case, using KnotPlot, I deformed it (continuously, so it
>> should be topologically equivalent) to the second knot, below, which
>> looks somewhat familiar ;-)
>

> OK, now I'm puzzled...
>
> The first image does indeed appear to be the same knot - as far as I can
> tell. And yet, you claim it's topologically equivilent to the trefoil
> knot. And yet... I computed the Jones polynomial for it, and it's
> different to either of the trefoil knots...
>
> Well, one of us has fluffed up somewhere :-S Since the procedure you
> undertook is simpler, I suspect it was me :-$
>
> Andrew.

I noticed that, too, but, as you noted, I didn't do anything
mathematical, just clicked "go" and let it tighten itself up (or is it
loosen itself up?) and it quite apparently transformed without ever
disconnecting.  I haven't calculated a Jones polynomial since grad
school, which is too many years ago.  I best look it up.

Dave Matthews