POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot or not? : Re: Knot or not? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot or not?
From: Andrew the Orchid
Date: 31 Oct 2004 13:20:09
Message: <41852cd9@news.povray.org>
> Well, if it's the same as the first knot, below, and I think it is, then
> it's a "3,2 Torus Knot" (which I generated using KnotPlot --
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/imager/contributions/scharein/KnotPlot.html )
>
> In which case, using KnotPlot, I deformed it (continuously, so it should
> be topologically equivalent) to the second knot, below, which looks
> somewhat familiar ;-)

OK, now I'm puzzled...

The first image does indeed appear to be the same knot - as far as I can
tell. And yet, you claim it's topologically equivilent to the trefoil
knot. And yet... I computed the Jones polynomial for it, and it's
different to either of the trefoil knots...

Well, one of us has fluffed up somewhere :-S Since the procedure you
undertook is simpler, I suspect it was me :-$

Andrew.