POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot or not? : Re: Knot or not? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot or not?
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 31 Oct 2004 13:06:45
Message: <418529b5$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:

> I was wondering what the next simplest shape similar to a moebius trefoil
> would be. It's fairly easy to make a 5-lobed knot similar to the 3-lobed
> trefoil, but my attempts to produce something with four lobes tended to
> produce structures that consisted of two loops with various degrees of
> linking between them. Then I happened to create this thing. I'm not sure if
> it's a knot or not.

Well, if it's the same as the first knot, below, and I think it is, then
it's a "3,2 Torus Knot" (which I generated using KnotPlot --
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/imager/contributions/scharein/KnotPlot.html )

In which case, using KnotPlot, I deformed it (continuously, so it should
be topologically equivalent) to the second knot, below, which looks
somewhat familiar ;-)

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'knotview01.jpg' (12 KB) Download 'knotview02.jpg' (15 KB)

Preview of image 'knotview01.jpg'
knotview01.jpg

Preview of image 'knotview02.jpg'
knotview02.jpg