POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A boiling red tea... : Re: A boiling red tea... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A boiling red tea...
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 26 Oct 2004 19:45:52
Message: <417ee1b0$1@news.povray.org>
Frango com Nata wrote:
>>Then please cancel 3 of your 4 messages.
>

> OK, it is done now.
>

>>Please not that this image will not suffer any serious
>>damages if saved in the jpg-format instead of the png-format.
>>If you do this the file size can be reduced to 75KB or less,
>>instead of 289KB or even 835KB.
>

> I see it now -- the image could be saved in 46.1KB. I will take it into
> account before posting again.

Ok.
Images posted to this group seems to have an average size
about 200 KB, so image sizes up to 300 or 400 KB might be
accepatable. But one should always consider using the JPEG
file format and check how low the quality settings can be
set before the contents of the image starts to degrade.

This is to preserve server space and to make life easier
for those who only have a low-speed internet connection.

>>I also recommend you to switch to another newsreader.
>>E.g.: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Ooops ! Sorry to mislead you. What I meant was Thunderbird:

Thunderbird is an email and news client, while Firefox is a
web browser.

> I am testing it right now. Thank you.

I see that you are now using "Mozilla 4.5 [es]". Isn't that
a very old version of Netscape ?

As of today, the "Mozilla Suite" seems to have reached v1.7.

Thunderbird and Firefox are good, lightweight standalone
and quite secure programs based on the Mozilla codebase.
IIRC they have some refinements and features that are not
found in the programs integrated into the Mozilla Suite.
(But I may be wrong about this.)

And all these Mozilla programs are open and free.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net