POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sphere reflecting crimes over a checkered plane : Re: Sphere reflecting crimes over a checkered plane Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere reflecting crimes over a checkered plane
From: Ron M
Date: 25 Oct 2004 11:47:23
Message: <417d200b$1@news.povray.org>
Noe Falzon wrote:
> I definitly love the bloody one !
> One thing, though : couldn't you fing a map with a better resolution (or
> maybe it is just the jpg compression) ? I think it spoils a bit the
> whole image. But the idea is great great great !

I see what you're saying, and I think it's a combination of both effects
that are affecting the image.

Regarding the resolution of the map, this flyover animation has a much
higher-res map:
   http://maps.forensiclogic.com/sac_flyover.wmv
but the .wmv compression artifacts were even worse than the .jpg
artifacts in the still pictures I posted.    In larger .png images the
cubes look much sharper and easy to recognise as well - but at least for
a first pass I wanted to spare people the bandwidth.  Hopefully I'll
incorporate people's suggestions and post a less compressed version of
whatever the best approach might be.