POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend : Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 25 Oct 2004 02:20:28
Message: <417c9b2a@news.povray.org>
Thomasso wrote:

>install and running information for Java Programs with LINUX. I would
> realy like to get Jpatch up and running. I have not a clue on how to get
> these Java files installed and running? I tried everything I know in the
> Shell command, but I'm missing somthing?

Hi Tomasso,

I don't know if the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is part of FC2? It is not
part of Rh9, which I have so I had to download it myself.

Maybe you too need to download the J2RE (Java 2 Runtime Environment) from
the Sun Microsystems website - its about 12 MB if I remember right. What
you then need to do is to install it, and then run Jpatch. I don't have
Jpatch, but I have another Java program called Arbaro that is used with
PovRay. After installing the JRE, I run Arbaro like this from the shell:

java -server -Xms256m -Xmx512m -esa -jar arbaro_gui.jar

You'll probably need to run jpatch.jar or whatever.

> With Fedora II, I have the KPovModeler 1.1.1 (KDE 3.2.2-8FC2 Red
> Hat)...Question: Does Jpatch not have it own GUI? Or do you have to use
> the KPovModeler to do the rendering. And yes, I have to download POVRay
> 3.5 before I could create any pictures.

Yes, Jpatch has its own GUI. I saw ran it one and it looked quite functional
and nice. Have you tried Blender as well? I found it quite usefull, along
with ppmodeller, to make objects in Linux for Povray and then convert them
using ppmodeller into Povray triangle patches that can then be used.

> SO basicly your program combins all these diffrent objects from other
> redering software and merges them into one sceen? Is there a program out
> there that already does this for LINUX?

Hmm - don't know what exactly you mean but PPModeller seems to allow you to
convert quite a few formats into PovRay triangle patches, allowing you to
integrate several programs.

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen