POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
4 May 2024 05:31:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 23 Oct 2004 19:04:50
Message: <417ae392@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> One major reason for the lack of exceptional pieces may have been that the
> time period of two and a half months was too short. POVCOMP is of an order
> of magnitude harder than the IRTC, and the organisers underestimated the
> time needed to create this sort of work without giving up on real life.
> People couldn't find the time to complete their entries, and among those
> submitted, we feel that many can be improved.

   That describes perfectly my thoughts (both that the time period was
short and that many things on my entry can be improved).

> Accordingly, it has been decided to postpone the deadline until January 31,
> 2005. That's almost 3 additional months for people to resume or complete
> their work, or submit new ones.

   Can I admit that I *really* fantasized with this? :)

> Again, this was not an easy decision to take. I'm painfully aware of how
> difficult this must be for the POVCOMP participants. We hope, however, that
> these 3 extra months will result in many exceptional pictures.

   I feel it was a necessary reparation... for me, rectifying a mistake
is always a good thing. And for the time/effort "wasted" chasing the
last deadline... well, it was a very good experience that I don't mind
repeating.

--
Jaime