POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Details [Was: Competition status] Server Time
4 May 2024 09:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Details [Was: Competition status]
From: Phlip
Date: 23 Oct 2004 18:43:15
Message: <417ade83@news.povray.org>
selsek wrote:

> The rules were also HARD to understand.

Start with the intent - to form poster-sized artworks that showcased
POVray's abilities. You can't do that with only clever textures, fog, loop
statements. You need a lot more.

> The 1/25th of the picture is really
> a silly idea! Couldn't it be "show us how far you've gone into details"?

Question: How small are we _allowed_ to make the details?

> And i sincerely had to give false coordinates because i didn't have time
> render things again, and i had to recalculate the coordinates from the
> "+sr0.000245" commands (it took me almost an hour to put those
coordinates,
> and to re-upload the detail image each time).

Right. Holding us to exact coordinates constrains how we re-render. In this
case, part of the intent is "prove you didn't just render something else and
claim that it's one pixel in the main picture". If I prove that fact by
providing sources, then the coordinates are irrelevant.

> A detail view? Ok, you need to know if everything has been shown. But if
> there was NOTHING? It's a subjective thing, the artist will show how far
he
> has gone into detail, and can't do more.

This goes back to the intent - to showcase POVray technology.

Folks, Michelango rendered the Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel to satisfy his
customer (the Pope) first. Satisfying his own muse came second.

> And why can't the entries be modified once submitted? I may want to submit
> it once to be sure to participate, and to modify it as long as i still
have
> time.

They can. You just go thru the Web page and push it back in.

--
  Phlip