POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2004 16:53:36
Message: <417ac4d0@news.povray.org>

417abc3f$1@news.povray.org...

> While it is contrary to the way normal competitions are run, I wonder if
> it
> might not help keep everyone motivated if the images submitted to the
> competition were visible immediately on submission and that any image
> could
> be replaced with an improved version some number of times prior to the
> deadline. I am thinking of  a running competition where entries evolve to
> high level.

Some 3D competitions run like this, and allow people to show their entries
beforehand. People can comment on the WIPs too. In retrospect, I'm starting
to think that this would have been a better way (though there may be some
issues with this too). I am personally in favour to show the current images
at this stage, but it's not a simple decision as the original rules clearly
said that the judging was "blind".  This may or may not change and no
decision has been taken.

> An analogy. We are all choosing to run marathons when we take on a image.
> It
> is hard to keep running hard in a competitive race when you have no idea
> where you stand - especially once life gets in the way a few times.

Well, I'm not completely buying this. In 3D, the competition is all around
us, in the movies, in the advertising, in the galleries of every 3D software
out there... I really don't think people should strive to be better than the
other POV-Ray user. In any case, I never did that when I competed in the
IRTC. My goal was always to emulate the best possible stuff I had seen, and
for this there were enough available material from the last 25000 years of
painting... In any case, I will (possibly) prepare a short text addressing
some of the most obvious shortcomings I've seen in POV-Ray images (POVCOMP
or elsewhere).

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com